Saturday 3 March 2012

Creative Copper Clay


Creative Copper Clay

I have just had such a good day working with and teaching Copper Clay to five people. I feel it was really the first time I have got to grips with and appreciated the difference between Precious Metal Clay and Copper Clay. I am very happy the the processes and techniques we used today but the only thing I would change are my timings. We had a very rushed finish again...I need to be more stern about getting pieces into the kiln on time. Copper clay needs more finishing time than PMC. After it comes out of the kiln take at least 2 hours - therefore everything needs to be firing by 2.30. Anyhow...that's my issue not yours!
So, as promised, here's my tips and tricks for firing Copper Clay:

  • Make sure your pieces are completely dry before firing. This make take up to three times longer than PMC. Its difficult to tell you how long because it depends on the size of piece your working on.
  • If torch firing use a fine flame torch. This torch has a bigger more powerful flame than a micro or kitchen torch.
  • Heat until your piece glows a soft orange glow than begin timing for 7 minutes.
  • If Kiln firing preheat your kiln to 920c, place your pieces in the kiln in a kiln blanket and fire for 30 mins.
  • Once fired place immediately into Picklean (pickle solution) this will begin removing the fire scale. Leave to pickle for 10 mins.
  • Remove from Picklean and brush with a brass brush.
  • Barrel in Picklean for 30 mins, change the solution and repeat.
  • Finally barrel polish in barrel bright then finish with an agate burnisher.
I told you the finishing off process was pretty long...well worth the effort though!! Have a look at our Facebook page to see todays results. We could have achieved a much better finish with an extra hour but that's always the way with workshops.



No comments:

Post a Comment